The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dinghy Options for the Ranger 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty impressive nesting dinghy! Not cheap--but very well done. It looks as if it could be put together in the water easily--and the indivicual sections are light enough to be handled easily. I guess the only negitive of this type is the time to assemble--but it is less time than to inflate an inflatable!

We had a 10 foot hard dinghy on our European trip--and used it much more than the 13 foot inflatable we also carried aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with Anthony Peterson about the Portland Pudgy Dinghy today. He says he has one to demo, will put it in the water for us to check out - probably Everett. I'm planning to run over in Island Ranger to see how it fits on the swim step. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of days. He's also going to try to obtain some davits that Weaver has already designed for it and is planning to offer a Honda outboard. A complete package. He says they are waiting for boats - expect some in 4-6 weeks.

We'll see...

Mac
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday, we cruised over to the Everett launch ramp and met up with Tony Peterson, President of the Adamo Group aka Portland Pudgy. He brought a demo boat with him which we got to play with.

It is pretty impressive. Small enough to fit on the swim platform I think, it has reinforced holes molded in for the weaver davits. You can stow a ton of stuff in the enclosed sides - oars, sail kit, etc. Unsinkable, rugged, pretty stable, made of polyethylene.

So, we put down a deposit for one - they just changed molders so it will be 4-6 weeks for delivery. That means I'll have an 8 ft Walker Bay, and an Achilles LT-2 for sale as soon as it comes in.

I took lots of pictures - they are in my Ranger album.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mac
jlgray

City/Region: Marysville
Vessel Name: Laurie Ann
Photos: Laurie Ann
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Portland Pudgy Reply with quote

Hi Mac,
Thanks for the photos and the report on the dingy and it may fit your boat because we have ordered C-Ranger hull #36 due out in early July and your blazing the trail for us.

What size honda motor is your package and are you free to share the package price?

We saw you leaving the boat launch in Everett on Monday, April 30. We were in our Bayliner and stopped dead in the water to watch you pass. You looked real good!

Island Ranger

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking at motors. The recommendation is the 2 hp Honda air cooled, but I thought it might be too noisy. Love the weight though. And it's tough to find another long shaft light motor. We will probably go with the Honda....
Mac
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac.
The Pudgy sure looks good to me. This site and this topic sure saved me a lot of time and probably from picking a dink that would'nt work to well. Before the shake down cruise down the waterway to Miami we picked up the little $200 one from west Marine. It worked alright to get the dog to shore, but Mrs Dee wouldn't get into it. I got a little tired of rowing it in the wind. I think I now have three inflatables in the garage. Looking at your picture album convinced me the pudgy it perfect for the ranger. Thanks
Captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
captd

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the little 4 stroke, 2.5 horse Susuki at Wefing Marine before I left Florida. Been using it on the Whaler till I get the Pudgy. I don't know if it would be called a long shaft or a short shaft. It sure runs quite. I like it so far. I think it is cheaper than a Honda. Or should I say less expensive.
Captd
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't measure the Pudgy, but Tony says it needs the long shaft. There is an option on the pudgy for a short shaft mount, but it reduces the "life saving capacity" from 4 to 2 I think. I was planning to go with long shaft (20 in) - which eliminates all 2 & 2.5 motors except the noisy Honda. I like the 28 pounds - and at this point do not plan to go to the 3.5 / 40 # motors...

Mac
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went ahead and ordered the Portland Pudgy with a 2 hp Honda. The mold isn't running yet, so no boats are available for a couple of weeks. In the emeantime, Tony arranged to loan us a boat to use until ours is ready. I also ordered the Weaver davits, and installed them.

I can't stand the color (unless you really want a lifeboat) - ours will be white, but at least I was able to configure the davits ahead of time - and we will have a boat for our trip even if ours isnt ready when we leave...

Picture are in the Portland Pudgy sub album

Mac
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac don't you think that colour suits Island Ranger? We'd certainly be able to tell it was you from a long way back! Laughing

[quote]I can't stand the color (unless you really want a lifeboat) - ours will be white, but at least I was able to configure the davits ahead of time - and we will have a boat for our trip even if ours isnt ready when we leave... [/quote
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez...that's what I really like about this site. Everyone is Soooo Helpful! Laughing

I thought I was being nice not to put the picture of the horrendous red dinghy in the message - I was concerned over the well being of my fellow Brats....

But, never fear. My friends come through again. Now, I just need to learn to edit Ron's message...

Any one want an Achilles LT-2? How about a nice Walker Bay?

Mac
captd

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Do you know the status of these people, there in Seattle? I have been trying to order one since you found them and posted on this site. No one answers my e-mails. It is like they skipped town.
I am so impressed by this dingy I would sell them if they are going to make enough to allow me to do that. In the mean time I need to get my order in for one.
I appreciate all your research on this thing. I too have three inflatables that have not worked out. Mine were just cheapies. The second mate wouldn't get into the last one. Too small, But it fit on the dive platform nicely. daaa...
Darrel

Ps. When you get your white one, I would take the red one if I had too. but I like the white one as well.
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darrel,

I've been in contact with Tony Peterson, President of the Adamo Group (dba Portland Pudgy) almost every day. I know he gets email - I sent some pics, but never got an email back. I would call him (206 334 1221). The mold has been moved to a new location, and they started setting up yesterday. Don't really know when a new boat will be ready, probably a couple of weeks. I am borrowing the red one, it has some mold imperfections so I don't think he plans to sell it.

Mac
captd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending out a deposit today for the Pudgy. After talking to Tony it sounds like about three weeks delivery. I have a question maybe one of you guys could answer for me. ......How long is a long shaft that would be required for the pudgy without getting a lower transom? I have a 2.5 hr, four stroke Suzuki and it looks to be about twenty inches from top of transom to center of prop. Would that be considered a long shaft? Hope it is long enough.
Capt D Very Happy
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up my Honda 2hp long shaft today and tried in on the Pudgy (no oil or gas, so I couldn't start it). I left it on the boat, so I can't measure, but I think it is just barely long enough. You can probably get the dimensions from the Honda Marine web site.

Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: