HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

HARDTOP IDEAS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: HARDTOP IDEAS Reply with quote

I wanted to start a thread named HARDTOP IDEAS..... and insert a line drawing of a 16 angler I have droped into a microsoft office power point slide, and added a "crewd" idea of what I have mentioned about building a hard top set up that you can flop the aft 1/3 of the section forward when you want to fish or just clear the aft section of the boat of obstrucitions for loading...etc.... but still have the ability to have a full hardtop covering the length of your entire cockpit area.

I used the 16 Angler because there was not a 18, 19 or 22 Angler line drawing on the factory web site.... this will get the idea across...and spin off what RedFox is setting up for his 22. My idea was removeable support legs for the aft 1/3 section for the "flop top".

Byrdman

Hardtop C-Dory Concept.ppt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hardtop C-Dory Concept.ppt
 Filesize:  109.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1143 Time(s)

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, I've been thinking along those lines too. While I don't yet have a drawing, my thought was to
1) get a C-Dory made hard top.
2) Build a little piece that mirrors the look of the front windows (only shorter) on the aft section of the current cabin roof - something like what's on Gary Johnson's 27' CD.
3) On that bottom of the cockpit top, I'd want to install two rails that would slide in linear bearings on the other section. The vertical members on the rear of the top would come down bearings that slide on rails mounted on the gunnels.

The idea is a bit crude (northern for crewd Wink ) at this point but I want a design that would slide forward to free up the rear of the cockpit for fishing. I also think that either the cockpit cover needs to sit up at least a foot about the cabin top and/or have notched "hatches" in the side that flip up for easier ingress/egress. That is a hard top that is too low would make getting in and out at the dock tough.

I asked the factory about the possibility of getting a cabin top for this purpose and was informed that I could get one for somewhere north of $1k for my 22'. It might look nicer to have a "match" for the cockpit top.
If someone has better/great ideas onhow to make this work, let me know.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger: You are target on as far as having the secondary hatches for getting in and out at the docks. Just like many of the canvas tops have a zipper system. Now me and Beth Johnson, the other Roger's wife were walking about the factory at the gathering this year, and I wondered what would be wrong with just putting another top piece up there....after some hinges were installed. I think we are tracking on this, and my concern was being sure what ever was up there on the forward section, was heavy enough to support two deck chairs and a couple of folks sitting up there enjoying a nice smooth, slow sunrise or sunset cruise. The view is great from the top of the boats.

I understand your idea on the rails, but find myself and other sitting on the gunnels, so rails there would not work for me. But, the idea of some type of "expanding tubular leg" may work that would stay attached to the folding top section, and just hinge back with the top. I do not see these support legs or bars being real heavy as they will only hold the aft 1/3 for the roof section, which is also attached at the piano hinge point. ...maybe.

Yep, my ideas are krude (somewhere between WA & AL Smile ), but what would live be without a good tablet, powerpoint, and boats. CoolSmile
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I've actually thought about extending the top on mine a bit farther. Afterall there is nearly 11' of cockpit space behind the extension! And My thought was to make it slide forward into the existing top as well. The nice thing about the 27' is that with the hard top there is still ample room to get in and out behind it. Plus since the extension is raised 18" it gives me ample headroom. I just can't go anywhere that has less than 12' of clearance on the roads!

Pat, You just need a bigger boat! Then you won't need to add such a dangerous place to drink your sundowners!

Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Gary....but... even in the showroom in Seattle, looking at that nice big factory roof on Bob's TC255..... I could just vision getting up their with the remote to the auto pilot and cruising into the sunset in a couple of deck chairs.... Must be some goat left in me from being raised in the hills of TN???
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks considering adding a hardtop might want to look at the factory website for the Rosborough boats, particulary their 24. They make the cabin in at least three different lengths to accomodate different needs. Take a look:

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/

Larry H built a very nice hardtop on the Nancy H that wasn't too heavy and looked great. You can see it in the front of his album and a few other places if you browse through the photos. Here's a link:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=NancyH&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This hardtop project is one Pandora' Box!

The desire to build a more permanent, better looking, and multi-function hard top occurs naturally, but the engineering difficulties are overwhelming.

First, there the weight issue. Whatever you do, it's going to weigh a lot more than the equivalent canvas top. Because of it's additional weight, its also going to require more support structure below.

Next, since it can't be folded up easily in a blow, it has to be made strong enough to survive 40-50 or more knots of wind and not get blown inland to Idaho. Better beef it up some more. More weight, too.

Then there's the issue of how to make it bigger and smaller as needs change. Now we have a whole bunch of mechanical engineering details to deal with. Their solution adds weight to the structure. Where is this leading to?

Next comes the need to open the hardtop up somehow to get on and off board. More considerations to overcome, more stuff to add, more weight, more complications, etc.

Now some folks will want to add a flying bridge or cocktail lounge with wet bar to our roof project. On a 40-65 or more foot boat, this is a great idea, but on a 25 footer, things are getting a bit hard to include in the design package. Better add some more structural reinforcement to the overall structure once we get this latest addition incorporated.

HMMMM.......starting to wonder what our overall weight of this hardtop is going to finally equal.

Now comes in some wise guy (like Dusty) who tells us that we can't put all that weight and windage up there because it will destabilize the balance of the boat weight-wise, make it roll and pitch dangerously in serious seas, and become a handling nightmare as well in the wind.

What a party pooper! What does he know about how to make the boat do its job of meeting our every whim and wish, anyway?

Oh well, I guess we can just leave our new creation tied up at the dock an make it into a floating cocktail palace. After building our $5000 hardtop, we can't afford the gas to go anywhere, anyway!

Well, of course this is overstated and intended to use a little humor at the end to lighten up things, but thought I'd just make the point of how difficult this project is and what an uphill battle it will be!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, the above project has eluded solution long enough for me that I finally gave up and added a section of PVC tube mounted vertically at the center and rear of the cockpit into which to insert a large beach umbrella for summer shade. Kinda simple and crude, but it works! Just be sure to lock it down somehow or it will lieft up and fly away when you're moving in the wind. (How do I know?)

Why choose this rather make-shift solution?

I really don't want to add the bimini or full canvas set up because of the storage and attachment issues, so the umbrella offers some shelter from the summer sun while folding and storing nicely in either the cabin, across the rear of the cockpit, or on the roof. I'm guess I'm stuck in this mode until a better breakthrough idea comes along.

Joe.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman,

Here is an idea for a roof. The frame is made of aluminum tube, bent, welded, and covered with fabric or?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Joe,

The duster doesn't like a lot of topside weight, but a cool hardtop would be fine. The Rosborogh top is great - have one sitting in the yard at EQ with the top in place - but I wouldn't want to fish with that danged thing in the way. BTW that's a NICE boat and great for our area.

I like Larry's top too, very light and really well done, and you"d expect that!! Larry is a real pro - except he doesn't do ladders very well Laughing Laughing Maybe that's not funny??? Larry, don't do that again, y'hear??

RF's top is way cool too, and all you need is a doctorate in welding to make that one. For our lifestyle here in the Pac NW the canvas (Sunbrella) top works for me. Curtains down it heats easily, curtains off (30 seconds) a nice awning, and for fishing the top snugs up against the cabin completely out of the way. For downrigger fishing I just take a panel off on each side and still have protection from rain and wind.

Dusty (3rd cup of coffee)

russoboat

City/Region: Southampton, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Porgy Man
Photos: Porgy Man
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: HARDTOP IDEAS Reply with quote

Here is another idea

I'm going to install one simular to this in the spring on my 16' Angler

see attachments

else see my photos
Byrdman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a real cool idea at Wefing's in Eastpoint FL during my visit. This custom top was made for a 32' Twinn Vee cat. The top was basically just a big ol top with ropes to tie down the sumbrella material...other than the real neat part which was a second set of "U" shaped tubes, that were attached to the main top support tubes at two points on each the port and starboard side, then the U shape was formed by the aft section... now what made it so neat, was the fact that this "external U shape" gizmo, was a telescopic rig, that slid in an out....for putting more shade out back when fishing rods were not flying about, or slid in while fishing or on the trailer. Real cool set up. I'll attempt a top view type of drawing if time permits... My last full day at home prior to going to MD/NJ for the plant pushing for boat stuff ....
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Brats don't think I am ignoring the site here... (have been out testing my hard top for a whole week in "Antarctica" (LOL) Xmas Eek came in yesterday and all I could post was one message Thumbs Down I'll be back to check this thread out --- looks innerestin Very Happy for the mean time, i am way too busy to yak here right now. Sad

BTW: My Stealth Hard Top is in service! Love

Later gaterz ... Wink
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
Saw a real cool idea at Wefing's in Eastpoint FL during my visit. This custom top was made for a 32' Twinn Vee cat. The top was basically just a big ol top with ropes to tie down the sumbrella material...other than the real neat part which was a second set of "U" shaped tubes, that were attached to the main top support tubes at two points on each the port and starboard side, then the U shape was formed by the aft section... now what made it so neat, was the fact that this "external U shape" gizmo, was a telescopic rig, that slid in an out....for putting more shade out back when fishing rods were not flying about, or slid in while fishing or on the trailer. Real cool set up. I'll attempt a top view type of drawing if time permits... My last full day at home prior to going to MD/NJ for the plant pushing for boat stuff ....

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Does the U refer to the shape of the tubing in cross-section or the shape that round tubing is bent into?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is nice to have the sunbrella 'camper back' arrangement -- unlike the hardtop being discussed, it's light-weight, easy to fold back or deploy, good-looking, simple to tuck away if fishing, and easy to acquire.
Betcha if the boat came with a hardtop, we'd all be waxing poetically about the virtues of a 'camper back.'

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Sure is nice to have the sunbrella 'camper back' arrangement -- unlike the hardtop being discussed, it's light-weight, easy to fold back or deploy, good-looking, simple to tuck away if fishing, and easy to acquire.

The more I think about it, the more I think that a sunbrella bimini that can be folded back against the cabin, and that can have side/rear curtains, is the way to go. But I am glad for the mental exercise of visualizing all the issues involved in creating a hard bimini.

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: