The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS CHEAPER?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: WHERE CAN I BUY THIS CHEAPER? Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any interest in a section of the forum with the theme, SAVING MONEY. For a long time I considered going to the hardware section of a popular marine store, as going to the jewelry store. But now, with runaway inflation upon us, selective shopping is a necessity.

For instance, I recently needed a tube of 3M 5200. A popular fishing superstore, $21.00. The giant marine store, $15.00. Lowe's Lumber and Hardware, $7.00. Same exact product.

I saw a pull/on, push/off switch at the big marine store for $19.99. The same switch at Academy Sports, $9.99.

Any interest?
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea to me! We could include a negotiation tips area for big ticket items, too.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how many of the marine stores can have a price differences of 2 or even 3 times the amount you can find something at Amazon, Lowes, or even Fred Meyer's. I have been looking at a 20-30 gallon topside gas tank and they are twice as much at West Marine than I can get one shipped to my door from amazon.com. I know there is overhead from having a store, but I think you have to at least attempt to compete. I mean, people are not stupid......

Case in point: The Fish House (they are a good marine and fishing supply store) in Seward is incredibly competitive in price on a lot of things the charter guys use as they know that the charter guys will just buy it online and overnight it and save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year. Sure the Fish House is somewhat more expensive, but the prices don't make you feel like you are being robbed. So, pretty much everyone just buys their stuff from them as it isn't that much more, you can take it back with ease, and you get it now. It's a good business model for sure.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on this new idea!
1988 22' Angler
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: WHERE CAN I BUY THIS CHEAPER? Reply with quote

Remember the days of the small shops ? Then the big box stores came along with cheaper prices because they bought in bulk from Asia. Where did the little shops go?
I agree that if the little guy has 'marked up' to high, then shop around online, but I do try and support the local business, because if you don't, you know what happens.
Earlier this year I bought a Manson anchor from the local chandlery. I could have bought it online and saved $30. But by buying local, I got to hold it feel it and easy to return if there is a problem. That had a value to me.
Last year when the C-Brat gathering came to town someone had a mechanical problem. The local chandlery ordered a new piece and the next day all was fixed. I remember the boat owner was very impressed. This service would not happen if you do not support the little guy.
My local chandlery only provides quality merchandise so it costs a little more. He will not stock cheap Asian rubbish.
Of course if you live a long way from the little guy, you may have no choice but to shop online or at a big box store.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two small hardware stores close by, and I make it a point to go to each at least once a month to buy something. The HD and Lowes are just as close, but the smaller stores have a wonderful selection of SS screws and bolts etc at less than half the price of WM--I don't want them to go away! No real competing marine stores however.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, try to patronize "local" stores even if the price is higher. As long as it's reasonably close, I'm happy. One of my favorite places is those racks of little cardboard "drawers" in the hardware store that have all the clips, special fasteners, and etc. They solve problems you didn't even realize you had! Very Happy

That's not to say I never shop on sticker price, because sometimes I do. But just as often I shop on what I consider "total price" - this includes service, handiness, ease of returning/exchanging, knowledge base of the help, etc.

That said, I have my limits. I stopped in West Marine the other day to pick up some 5/16" three-strand line. I though it seemed a bit expensive, but I hadn't researched it and too, they do have a real store to support, so okay. But it stuck in my mind (and I also needed some line they did not have), so I looked it up at Fisheries Supply while I was looking for the other line (which is a central real store plus an online store), and it was almost HALF the cost. And that wasn't even hard-line Internet shopping, but just one casual check. .77 per foot at West Marine and .41 per foot at Fisheries. Since I had something to return, I did ask West to price match when I went back in (Side note: They informed me of a new-to-me policy that they will only price match with a real store that is within 50 miles of the purchase store - it used to be any real store.), but even they remarked that they couldn't understand why it would be SO much more, and they did match the Fisheries price. But... I had to do the legwork to get the more reasonable price.

I'm sorry if this is sort of de-railing the thread, but then it has turned into a bit of a discussion, which I hope is okay.

Sunbeam Hot
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A theme that is emerging from this thread is that although we like to purchase locally, it pays to do your research in advance.

I put solar on my Airstream this year. The local dealer wanted around $2600 to install a 150 watt panel, with a 30 amp controller. I checked with other local RV dealers, and they were selling the same package, installed for around $1100 to $1200. My AS dealer was more than happy to meet local prices when I brought them to his attention.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE CAN I BUY THIS CHEAPER? Reply with quote

I really can't stand buying online, but I can't argue that prices are better. Amazon is probably my preferred online store if I have to buy online, but I'd rather go somewhere local. for pretty much anything from books to marine hardware.

bridma wrote:
Remember the days of the small shops ? Then the big box stores came along with cheaper prices because they bought in bulk from Asia.

you know what the worst part is? I see this every day in my business and the off shores produced stuff is SO much cheaper that you can throw away 25%+ of the product due to poor workmanship and still end up saving so much money that its worth the hassle of failed and rejected parts.

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic. I am big on saving where possible. As a result, the best prices are typically online. Even when factoring shipping costs and sometimes tax (WA - Amazon), it is still less expensive. Plus, sometimes is it just easier to order and have it show up at your doorstep.

That being said, I do like to support the local stores as I do appreciate their existence. There is large hardware store in Woodinville, WA called McLendons which has a great selection and very knowledgeable helpful workers. When I went there seeking advice and parts for my generator box, I needed about 50 miscellaneous pieces (hasps, various sizes of screws, nuts, bolts, washers, pipes, flanges, etc). I had one person look at my device and he helped me to select all the pieces. It took him about 15 minutes to assist me and $100 later I was on my way home. Point is, had I gone anywhere else, I might not have gotten the service that was so helpful on that visit. His help saved me time, and as people know time = $$$.

I like to reward places that offer something great to the consumer. When I find it, I try to stay loyal to them when possible and sometimes that trumps price.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, these comments really do hit home. Our local hardware store just closed this week. The whole town did everything they could to keep them open, but the shopping center owners in Florida had other ideas. It really hurts to see this store which played a significant role in making our town "a town" go away.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like we are mingling two different things here. On line vs local and small vs corporate.

First online vs local. If I can get it cheaper faster and with better service I go where every that is. If it online they have earned my business if its local great. sometimes I have to hold it in my hand to know I want it and if I do I buy it where I held it unless its double the price. Then you are just being screwed and some local guys will screw you. Being local does not make you better or nicer it just makes you local. I know a locals that will steal from you and call it business.

Lets also remember that a lot of on line stores are very small local ( to where they are) family ran businesses. a friend of mine runs a embroidery shop out of her home in Sacramento. If not for the net she would not be in business. This is ran by her and which ever kid is home that day. When the local union ran shop her husband worked for cut every ones hours to part time to avoid the obama care that the union told them to vote for her business saved them, well kept them in the house for now. So just because its on line does not mean its not small and family ran.

Also that amazon online supper store employees a lot of Local people where they are located. In this case Seattle. It also employees a lot of other people that get that product to you in a timely manner. Planes and trucks at both end and all that supports them in local economies that would not exist with out online buying and free shipping. Work at Boeing? you better support online shopping because a great deal of your plane orders are cargo or replacing planes that are sold to cargo.

Small vs large- does not matter if its on line or local there are big and little business and where is that line drawn? Some one mentioned McLendons . Ok there are a Washington business but they are by no means small. they have six stores that are fairly big and employee thousands of people. Are they a Big business or a local business. or both??? some one else mentioned that the box stores are full or cheap Chinese made products. Well I have not seen a local store , hardware for a example, that does not have the same stuff for twice the price. Its not like there prices are based on the quality of the stocked items. its based of their over head and profit.

Lets also compare large box store to local small.

large_ has more products for cheaper and employees more people for the same or more money and far more benefits ( health care). Just looking at Johns sporting goods and Cabelas. I shop at both because they are both local to my home. Both have the same prices on fishing gear and some times johns is less( well he it now because he has to compete now, before he was very high on a lot of stuff) john employees 4 people, they are his family for the most part. I know past employees of his and he offered no health care and only worked them part time for the most part( nor trying to avoid anything it just that's all he needed) Store is the same size it was 30 years ago. Does not draw enough people to the store to make much of a impact on the local economy past his own sells receipts. Oh and john will tell you that his new online business has not only kept his afloat but expand his receipts if not the size of the store.

Cabelas- large store national chain. Sells everything you need out doors but not at the best prices ( or out door gear is just pricey ( or i am just cheap)) employees hundreds of people, good wage (over min to start) health care for workers and families, trains and promotes from with in. attracts people from other areas of the state and even Canada ( half the cars on the weekend are Canadians) who stay in hotels, eat at restaurants and buy a lot of gas from other local businesses , some of which are small locally owned. Give lots of money to local and national charity.

So which is better? big or small online or store? local or national?

The one that give me the best price service and honesty gets my business every time. I don't believe that local is some how better then a chain. Everyone working in that chain is living and spending that check locally.

redbaronace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Looks to me like we are mingling two different things here. On line vs local and small vs corporate.

First online vs local. If I can get it cheaper faster and with better service I go where every that is. If it online they have earned my business if its local great. sometimes I have to hold it in my hand to know I want it and if I do I buy it where I held it unless its double the price. Then you are just being screwed and some local guys will screw you. Being local does not make you better or nicer it just makes you local. I know a locals that will steal from you and call it business.

Lets also remember that a lot of on line stores are very small local ( to where they are) family ran businesses. a friend of mine runs a embroidery shop out of her home in Sacramento. If not for the net she would not be in business. This is ran by her and which ever kid is home that day. When the local union ran shop her husband worked for cut every ones hours to part time to avoid the obama care that the union told them to vote for her business saved them, well kept them in the house for now. So just because its on line does not mean its not small and family ran.

Also that amazon online supper store employees a lot of Local people where they are located. In this case Seattle. It also employees a lot of other people that get that product to you in a timely manner. Planes and trucks at both end and all that supports them in local economies that would not exist with out online buying and free shipping. Work at Boeing? you better support online shopping because a great deal of your plane orders are cargo or replacing planes that are sold to cargo.

Small vs large- does not matter if its on line or local there are big and little business and where is that line drawn? Some one mentioned McLendons . Ok there are a Washington business but they are by no means small. they have six stores that are fairly big and employee thousands of people. Are they a Big business or a local business. or both??? some one else mentioned that the box stores are full or cheap Chinese made products. Well I have not seen a local store , hardware for a example, that does not have the same stuff for twice the price. Its not like there prices are based on the quality of the stocked items. its based of their over head and profit.

Lets also compare large box store to local small.

large_ has more products for cheaper and employees more people for the same or more money and far more benefits ( health care). Just looking at Johns sporting goods and Cabelas. I shop at both because they are both local to my home. Both have the same prices on fishing gear and some times johns is less( well he it now because he has to compete now, before he was very high on a lot of stuff) john employees 4 people, they are his family for the most part. I know past employees of his and he offered no health care and only worked them part time for the most part( nor trying to avoid anything it just that's all he needed) Store is the same size it was 30 years ago. Does not draw enough people to the store to make much of a impact on the local economy past his own sells receipts. Oh and john will tell you that his new online business has not only kept his afloat but expand his receipts if not the size of the store.

Cabelas- large store national chain. Sells everything you need out doors but not at the best prices ( or out door gear is just pricey ( or i am just cheap)) employees hundreds of people, good wage (over min to start) health care for workers and families, trains and promotes from with in. attracts people from other areas of the state and even Canada ( half the cars on the weekend are Canadians) who stay in hotels, eat at restaurants and buy a lot of gas from other local businesses , some of which are small locally owned. Give lots of money to local and national charity.

So which is better? big or small online or store? local or national?

The one that give me the best price service and honesty gets my business every time. I don't believe that local is some how better then a chain. Everyone working in that chain is living and spending that check locally.

Tom, I pretty much agree with everything you said in the post above. My view of the McLendons hardware (6 locations), is they have great service and therefore, I support them. While the prices would have been less had I shopped each part, there was definite value and time savings in having someone who is familiar with all those part and screw bins, filling up my basket with what I needed.

If I can save a buck, I typically do. Sometimes, having a local store handy is great when you need it now. When you can choose a store which serves you as a customer rather than as a $$$, I can appreciate that.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite place to buy stainless steel hardware is my local Ace hardware in Lake Forrest Park. Ace stocks a ton of stainless hardware and it's 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the same stuff at West Marine. Also, they have a more complete stock than WM when it comes to ss hardware so it's a win all around.
redbaronace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
My favorite place to buy stainless steel hardware is my local Ace hardware in Lake Forrest Park. Ace stocks a ton of stainless hardware and it's 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the same stuff at West Marine. Also, they have a more complete stock than WM when it comes to ss hardware so it's a win all around.

+1 on the Lake Forest Park Ace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: